Please send a message of support for the Medicare Orthotics and Prosthetics Improvement Act of 2017 (S. 1191/H.R. 2599) to your Members of Congress today! This bipartisan legislation is intended to improve the quality of O&P care, reduce fraud and abuse, and conserve Medicare resources for Medicare beneficiaries with limb loss and orthopedic injuries and disabilities. We urge you to take the following steps as soon as possible:
- Use this form to contact your two Senators and Congressman to ask them to include the Medicare Orthotics and Prosthetics Improvement Act in the Medicare "extenders" package.
- When you hit “send,” your two Senators and Congressman will receive tailored email messages urging them to support this important legislation.
- Then, please contact your two Senators’ offices and your Congressman’s office by calling the Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121. Ask to speak with your Member of Congress or health care staff and urge them to include the Medicare Orthotics and Prosthetics Improvement Act in the Medicare extenders package.
The Medicare O&P Improvement Act includes important legislative proposals that would:
- Recognize that the prosthetist’s/orthotist’s notes are considered part of the medical record for purposes of determining medical necessity
- Direct CMS to fully implement within 120 days Medicare law requiring O&P qualifications in order to be reimbursed by the program for custom fabricated orthotics and prosthetics
- Clarify the definition of “off-the-shelf” orthotics exposed to competitive bidding in order to restore Congressional intent.
You can do your part as an NAAOP member by participating in this process. Now is the time to help your profession and your patients! Thank you.