Send a letter of support for the Medicare Orthotics and Prosthetics Improvement Act of 2017 (S. 1191/H.R. 2599) to your member of Congress today! The bipartisan bicameral legislation is intended to improve the quality of O&P care, reduce fraud and abuse, and conserve Medicare resources for Medicare beneficiaries with limb loss and orthopedic injuries and disabilities. We urge you to take the following steps as soon as possible:
- Use this form to contact your two Senators and Congressman to ask them to cosponsor S.1191/H.R. 2599.
- When you hit “send,” your two Senators and Congressman will receive tailored email messages urging them to cosponsor S. 1191/H.R. 2599.
- Then, if you are willing, contact your two Senators’ offices and your Congressman’s office by calling the Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121, ask for each of your two Senators’ offices and speak (or leave a message) with health care staff urging cosponsorship of S. 1191/H.R. 2599.
The Medicare O&P Improvement Act includes important legislative proposals that would:
- Recognize that the prosthetist’s/orthotist’s notes are considered part of the medical record
- Separates DME from O&P in federal regulations
- Directs CMS to fully implement Medicare law requiring O&P qualifications in order to be reimbursed by the program for custom O&P care
- Clarifies the meaning of “off-the-shelf” orthotics to restore Congressional intent, and
- Mandates that HHS refine its data on O&P audits and appeals to better track reversal rates and other important information throughout the appeals process.
You can do your part as an NAAOP member by participating in this process. Now is the time to help improve the O&P profession! Thank you.